We’ve all heard about the dangers of spending too much time sitting down at work. But how much sitting is too much sitting? According to the Mayo Clinic, sitting for long periods of time can have ill effects on the cardiovascular system, and lead to early mortality. However, they found that activity for 60-75 minutes per day can help combat the effects of too much sitting.
Engaging in some of these helpful tips can help you achieve more balance at work and with your body.
- Take a break from sitting every 30 minutes.
- Stand while talking on the phone or watching television.
- If you work at a desk, try a standing desk — or improvise with a high table or counter.
- Walk with your colleagues for meetings rather than sitting in a conference room.
- Position your work surface above a treadmill — with a computer screen and keyboard on a stand or a specialized treadmill-ready vertical desk — so that you can be in motion throughout the day.