How Does MyCAA Work?

Table of Contents

ICOHS is proud to offer students the Military Spouse Advance Account Scholarship. Keep reading for more information on how the MyCAA program works, eligibility requirements, employment opportunities, and more. 


What Does MyCAA Funding Cover?

The MyCAA scholarship provides eligible spouses of service members access to education and training to pursue portable career opportunities.

The workforce development program offers eligible military spouses up to $4,000 financial assistance, which can be applied to a license, certification, national test, and interdisciplinary associate degree.

What Does the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship Pay For?

The MyCAA Advance Account Scholarship covers costs related to pursuing or maintaining licenses, certifications, or associate degree programs that align with eligible participants’ career goals. Continuing education courses are also included and must be received from a participating institution. 

My Career Advancement Account Scholarship

Military spouses will also receive funds to cover the costs of national tests needed to complete their chosen degree program. This includes College Level Examination Program tests. 

What Does MyCAA not cover?

Coverage provided by the MyCAA Scholarship does not extend to the following:

  • Coursework related to the completion of a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree
  • Certificates unrelated to a certification or license
  • Associates of science, arts, general studies, liberal arts, health sciences, social sciences, and interdisciplinary associate degrees without a specific concentration
  • Personal enrichment courses, excluding courses that apply to academic credit or graded electives in an approved My Career Advancement Account Spouse Education and Training Plan
  • Ongoing or previously completed courses
  • Course extensions
  • Courses, tests, or fees paid included in a job training program that is typically paid for by an employer
  • Non-Academic credit or ungraded courses, including courses taken on an audit basis or as an internship, practicum, apprenticeship, clinical supervision, or ungraded orientation programs
  • Repeated courses, unless the school has already issued the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship a full refund
  • Tuition for courses and examinations that are not included in the spouse’s Education and Training Plan
  • Study abroad programs, excluding programs of study offered by participating My Career Advancement Account Scholarship schools on overseas military installations
  • Private licenses that are used for recreational purposes
  • High school or GED completion programs (in person or online)
  • Courses or programs at unapproved schools or campuses, or locations that are not listed in the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship Portal
  • English as a Second Language (ESL) courses to learn English
  • Internships not included in the Education and Training Plan and that do not result in a credential required for employment
  • Books, supplies, equipment, uniforms, computers, and electronic devices of any kind
  • Registration fees, technology fees, or parking fees
  • Student activities, events, and entertainment
  • Reimbursements of any kind
  • Prepayments or deposits for future courses, unless costs are included as part of a block of study
  • School or college level entrance examinations, comprehensive exams, and related preparatory courses
  • Transportation, lodging, child care, and medical services

How Much Does MyCAA Pay?

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Scholarship program provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance over two years. This opportunity applies only to military spouses who continue their education with licenses, certifications, or associate degree programs as they apply to a portable career field and occupation.

Do You Have to Pay Back MyCAA if You Fail?

You will not have to pay back the funds provided by the MyCAA Scholarship if you fail or withdraw from a course. In this instance, your MyCAA Account will be locked with no subsequent funds offered until the course is completed. You must contact a MyCAA Career and Education Consultant to unlock your account. 

Who is Eligible for MyCAA?

How is the Spouse’s Eligibility Verified?

The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship program is available to spouses of active-duty service members, the National Guard, and reserve members under qualifying Title 10 orders in pay grades E-1 through E-5, W-1 through W-2, and O-1 through O-2. 

Military spouses will remain eligible for the MyCAA Scholarship even if their sponsor is promoted above the eligible ranks, so long as the spouse has an approved Education and Training Plan in place, as dictated by the fiscal 2020 National Defense Authorization Act. 

Program eligibility involves a high school diploma or GED certificate. Spouses must also have financial assistance documents approved before the active-duty service member’s date or separate or the active duty service member’s release from Title 10 military orders. 

How Do I Apply for MyCAA?

How Do I Apply for MyCAA?

To apply for the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship, follow the steps listed below:

  • Register online or call 800-342-9647 for assistance. A SECO career coach will be available to assist you. 
  •  Read the MyCAA fact sheet and terms and conditions and answer the quiz questions to complete your registration.
  • Fill in your personal information, education and training, and employment history.
  • Schedule a MyCAA coaching session with a SECO career coach. Call the SECO Career Center to secure an appointment. 
  • Prepare for your meeting by logging into the MyCAA School and Program Search and look for schools and programs you may be interested in. Discuss these opportunities with your career coach. 
  • If there is a program you would like to pursue, reach out to the school and request a MyCAA Education and Training plan. This should include your career goals and information about the school, specific program, and coursework. Financial assistance will not be administered until your Education and Training plan is approved. Plans are reviewed in the order in which they are received and may take up to 14 business days to complete. 

Education & Employment

What Programs/Degrees Will MyCAA Pay For?

The MyCAA program provides tuition assistance for qualified military spouses pursuing a license, certification, or Associate’s degree in a portable career field and occupation.

MyCAA approved career fields include:

  • Aerospace
  • Animal Services
  • Automotive Services & Transportation
  • Business, Finance & Administration
  • Construction
  • Education
  • Energy
  • Health & Human Services
  • Homeland Security
  • Hospitality
  • Information Technology
  • Legal

The following skilled trades have also been approved for the MyCAA Program:

  • Aesthetician or Skin Care Specialist
  • Barber
  • Colorist
  • Cosmetologist
  • Designer
  • Journalist
  • Make-up Artist (must provide a copy of cosmetology license to SECO staff)
  • Mortuary Science
  • Musical Instrument Repair
  • Nail Technician
  • Photographer
  • Sales Manager
  • Translator/Interpreter
  • Writer/Editor
  • Yoga (all credit hours must be completed in-person; distance learning or online programs will not be covered)
  • Nursing (must meet certain qualifications in the Education and Training Plan and include prerequisite courses.)

Does Adding Classes to my MyCAA Career Plan Also Enroll Me in Classes at My Career Training School?

MyCAA career plan

Adding classes to your MyCAA career plan will not automatically enroll you in classes at your career training school. You will still have to apply and be accepted to the program as per their enrollment requirements. 

What Kinds of Jobs Can I Train for Using MyCAA?

The MyCAA program prepares participants for a variety of jobs, including but not limited to:

  • Nurse
  • Writer
  • Construction Worker
  • Journalist
  • Information Technologist
  • Veterinary Technician
  • Human Services Representative
  • Legal Assistant
  • Hospitality Manager
  • Barber
  • Cosmetologist 


Can I use MyCAA and the GI Bill?

Yes, active duty service members can transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to their spouses for use alongside MyCAA funding. Note that MyCAA scholarship funds can only be applied to tuition costs, and unused funds will not be returned. It’s best to use MyCAA funds for tuition before applying funds provided by the GI Bill to your student expenses. 

Can I use MyCAA and financial aid together?

Yes, you can use two sources of federal education benefits to help pay for the same course or program. In addition to the financial aid provided by the MyCAA scholarship, you can fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can combine these resources to offset education costs. 

Do military spouses have to pay out-of-state tuition?

According to the GI Bill, active service members and their dependents can pay in-state tuition rates to attend any out-of-state public college or career training school. Certification programs and licensing degrees typically offer a flat rate for all students, regardless of location.

Subscribe For More

More Blog Posts


A.S. Degree In Information Technology

Cyber Security Specialist

IT Network Specialist

Professional Massage Therapist

Holistic Health Practitioner

More IT Programs

ICOHS College logo

Take The First Step

Request information to start a new meaningful career path and schedule to observe a class!

Get Started Today


By submitting this form, you are giving your express written consent for ICOHS College to contact you regarding our programs and services using email, telephone or text – including our use of automated technology for calls and periodic texts to any wireless number you provide. Message and data rates may apply. This consent is not required to purchase goods/services and you may always call us directly at 858-581-9460.