MCT oil (medium-chain triglyceride oil) is a supplement that is steadily growing in popularity amongst health, fitness, and holistic communities. It is an oil that possesses fats that are medium-length chains and are typically derived from coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and dairy products. This easily digestible structure is said to possess certain health benefits, which can accompany a holistic health regimen. Although not all care for MCT oil, it has regularly been an integral part of the ketogenic diet (keto) and many individuals swear by this supplement due to its valued potential health benefits. If you’re exploring the option of adding MCT oil into your daily holistic health regimen, continue reading to find out more about this amazing supplement!
- Utilize MCT oil as an effective weight loss aid.
Losing weight can be challenging for many individuals, and although there are endless products marketing to aid in weight loss, many of them are potentially harmful or even dangerous for the body. For this reason, finding a natural alternative that can assist in losing weight is an incredible discovery, and as science seems to show, MCT may be used as a weight loss aid.
- A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concluded that “Clinical studies have shown that consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerols (MCTs) leads to greater energy expenditure than does the consumption of long-chain triacylglycerols. Such studies suggest that MCT consumption may be useful for weight management.”
- Another report written by Wang et al. states, “It has been shown that MCT plays a role in lowering weight, and decreasing metabolic syndrome, abdominal obesity and inflammation.”
- Boost your brain power and get your tasks done.
Life can often times become stressful with so many tasks to complete every week, not to mention any emotional, personal, and mental challenges that can enter the mix. At times, some may feel like their brain needs a little extra boost. Being able to strengthen your brain power not only helps you get more done but it also, in turn, decreases stress and anxiety levels because procrastination has less of an opportunity to affect you. The better we are at staying on top of the workload and maintaining a balance, the more enjoyable life becomes often times. This is where MCT oil might just be able to play its role. Some studies have shown the potential of medium-chain triglyceride oil to boost brain power so that you can get what you need to complete accomplished. Because MCT oil turns into ketones when it enters the body, it has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier easily, thus powering up the brain quickly. This extra added power can, in turn, be used to get the tasks you want to complete accomplished.
- A report published in BMC Neuroscience states, “Ketone bodies are an efficient alternative fuel for cells that are unable to metabolize glucose or are ‘starved’ of glucose.” Ketones essentially raise the blood level of ketones, therefore assisting the brain in greater energy production.
- Improve the quality of your workout or fitness program.
Maintaining a regular fitness regimen and committing to frequent exercise is an important part of staying healthy. MCT oil may be able to provide assistance in improving the quality of a workout or fitness program. While long-chain triglycerides may not be able to be all there for you, medium-chain triglycerides can potentially amplify things to the next level.
- In a study published by the Journal of Nutrition, after fed an MCT-enhanced diet, mice performed better in a swimming endurance test, increasing their swim capacity. This suggests that MCT oil may potentially increase endurance in not only mice but humans as well.
- Prevent heart disease and live your best life.
Around 610,000 people die from heart disease every year in the United States alone, so tragically it can be said that heart disease is a serious condition that affects many individuals globally. Science shows that a healthy diet, regular exercise, limiting alcohol and refraining from smoking all help to prevent heart disease, but additionally some evidence expresses that MCT oil may potentially prevent heart disease, supporting you to live your very best life.
- A study conducted by Bourke et al. discovered that the consumption of MCT oil improved the “overall cardiovascular risk profile of overweight women.”
- Another article published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that consuming MCTs was more effective at reducing markers of cardiovascular disease in hypertriglyceridemic patients in comparison to if long-chain triglycerides were consumed (LCTs).
Although more studies do need to be conducted in regards to the ways in which MCT oil can impact and improve day to day life and challenges that arise, there is some hope and promise in regards to how this dietary supplement is already expressing its ability to be of aid.
If you are located in the San Diego, California area and are interested in becoming a holistic health practitioner, ICOHS is a non-profit, accredited vocational school offering a specialized, tailored-to-you Holistic Health Practitioner program. Reach out to ICOHS today and request more information.